Social media platforms crash due to faulty configuration change


Hakim hayat

Facebook and its Instagram and WhatsApp platforms were back online around 7 a.m. yesterday after a massive global outage that lasted nearly six hours, plunging services and businesses as well as users into chaos for hours.

In Brunei, the blackout began around 11:40 p.m. on the first day of a two-week movement restriction measure that left many people who heavily use the platforms with questions. (WhatsApp is the most common communication method in Brunei, while Instagram and Facebook are also widely used).

For hours, Facebook’s only public comment was a tweet that acknowledged that “some people are having trouble accessing (the) Facebook app” and said it was working on restoring access. Regarding internal failures, Instagram chief Adam Mosseri tweeted that the outrage looked like a “snowy day.” “I thought it had something to do with an increase in usage that caused the connection to be lost, but after confirming with a simple google search it (the outage) was reported to the world,” he said. commented Hanisah binti Suhili, who uses Facebook to run her business. in line. “This side of the world is lucky because the blackout happened just before midnight when most people are already in bed.”

The Brunei Darussalam Information and Communications Technology Industry Authority (AITI) responded to the global blackout in a statement yesterday, saying it was “unrelated to telecommunications services in Brunei Darussalam , which showed no interruptions during the specified outage period “.

The AITI also said that Facebook Inc (FB.O) in an update on the October 4 outage made it clear that the cause was a faulty configuration change.

AITI said there was no evidence that Facebook and its associated platforms were hacked and added that no user data was compromised during the downtime.

On the Facebook blog, they said, “Our engineering team has learned that configuration changes on the main routers that coordinate network traffic between our data caused issues that interrupted this communication. “

Facebook’s outgoing CTO Mike Schroepfer then tweeted “his sincere apologies.”

In Monday night’s statement, Facebook blamed the changes on routers that coordinate network traffic between data centers. The company said the changes interrupted communication, which has had “a cascading effect on the way our data centers communicate, shutting down our services.”

As of Monday afternoon, there was no evidence that malicious activity was involved. Cloudflare internet infrastructure provider CEO Matthew Prince tweeted that “Nothing we see about the Facebook service outage suggests it was an attack.”

Twitter, meanwhile, rang from the company’s main account on its service, posting “Hello literally everyone” as jokes and memes about the Facebook outage flooded the platform.


Leave A Reply