Social media is a great way to connect with an audience and build a brand. But if you don’t follow these social media optimization tips, you might be missing out on all the benefits that sites like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have to offer.
What is social media optimization?
Before we get into tips for getting the most out of social media on various platforms, let’s define what social media optimization is.
Simply put, social media optimization involves different methods of developing an online presence. More specifically, it could be strategies aimed at:
- Gain visibility.
- Increase engagement with a target audience.
- Generate traffic to a website.
- Create content in line with the desires of the target audience.
- Appear more frequently in subscriber feeds.
- Higher rank in platform search results.
- Build brand following.
What’s the main problem with social media optimization? Unlike search engine optimization, the variety of social media can differ significantly from platform to platform. For this reason, we’ll be sharing social media optimization tips specific to some of the most popular platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Plus, we’ll tell you what tools can help you extend your reach on each platform to make it easier to achieve your optimization goals.
Facebook optimization tips
Since many see Facebook as the king of social media, we’ll start here. Facebook makes it easy to connect with existing customers, while also letting you attract new ones through Facebook ads or by boosting posts.
To get the most out of your Facebook profile, be sure to do the following:
- Find out what works – Facebook Insights can help you identify your best posts. If you find something is getting great engagement and tons of shares, keep doing it with your new posts.
- Don’t Promote Too Much – When you pay for Facebook ads, you can promote your products or services. However, when going organically, limit the promotion to no more than one in three positions.
- Don’t link to YouTube – Uploading videos directly to Facebook can lead to better engagement compared to linking to YouTube or another site.
- Interact with your audience rather than silencing them – Rude comments are not uncommon on Facebook. Instead of removing them, engage and connect with your audience to quell the negative and highlight the positive.
The best Facebook optimization tools include:
Instagram optimization tips
Since Instagram and Facebook have merged, it makes sense to list this social media platform next, as the two platforms work together like two peas in a pod. For example, you can maximize exposure on Facebook and Instagram by increasing posts on both, or you can automatically post Instagram posts to your Facebook feed.
To make sure your Instagram profile is optimized, follow these steps:
- Don’t Forget Your Hashtags – You can use up to 30 hashtags to increase exposure, although the ideal range is between 8 and 14. To avoid hashtag overload on a post, comment on the post with hashtags. This will keep the tags searchable without irritating your subscribers.
- Alt Text in Your Images – This SEO trick also works for social media optimization, especially Instagram. You can add keywords and include alt text on a post by going to its advanced settings.
- Add Hashtags and Keywords to Your Bio – This is one of the easiest but most effective optimization tips you can follow.
- Try to match your username and your business name – the closer they are, the better.
- If you have products, post them – Instagram is king when it comes to buying products, so don’t be afraid to showcase them.
- Vary Your Formats – You can maximize your engagement and exposure by using Instagram’s different formats, such as posts, stories, videos, reels, highlights, and even Instagram Live.
The best Instagram optimization tools include:
- Iconosquare – To audit your profile.
- Quick checklist for Insta – To make sure you don’t forget anything.
- Phlanx – To measure your commitment.
Twitter optimization tips
While its popularity may lag a bit behind other platforms, social media optimization on Twitter can also help you expand your reach, especially if you do the following:
- Engage with your customers – Studies show that responding to Tweets increases customer satisfaction.
- Use trackable links – Whether they feature a product or have another call to action, these links can help you direct users to where you want them to be.
- Choose your hashtags wisely – They’re powerful enough, but Twitter doesn’t allow as many as some other platforms, so make your hashtags count.
- Host digital events – Live Q&A, workshops, and video tutorials can help you build a deeper connection with your audience.
- Use a Calendar – Consistent and regular tweets can increase visibility and engagement.
- Since Twitter makes it easy to schedule posts, use this feature.
The main Twitter optimization tools include: